Skip to content
Phone 800-985-7215 800-985-7215
(888) 905 1161 (888) 905 1161


General Admission FAQs

How do I check status of my documents and/or status of my application?

Once you have applied for admission, you can view the status of your application any time online by visiting

How do I update my start date, course, major or personal information?

For undergraduate applicants, you can make these updates and more online by visiting

Graduate applicants should send an email requesting the updates to [email protected]

Payment FAQs

When will I receive my Bill?

Northern Kentucky University does not send paper statements.

Each month a statement of activity is sent to the university assigned email address of all students that have any kind of activity on their student account. However, you can view and/or pay your student account at any time (24/7) online via myNKU > Biller Direct.

How do I make a payment?

  • Online
  • Via US mail
  • In person

Students are strongly encouraged to make electronic payments via Self Service with credit card (2.5% service fee) or electronic check (free). See detailed instructions below.

Students who elect to pay in person at the cashier's window (cash or check only) may do so by visiting the Student Account Services Office located on the second floor of the Lucas Administration Building, room 235.

Students who elect to mail a personal check or money order may send it to:

(Must include Student ID number)
Northern Kentucky University

Student Account Services
Lucas Administration Center, Room 235
Highland Heights, KY 41099

If you have any questions regarding your student account please contact Student Account Services at 859-572-5204.

How do I pay online?

Payments can be made online (24 hours a day, 7 days a week) by going to MyNKU and following these instructions:

  1. Online – E-Check payment.

    There is no additional fee for paying with E-Check.

    Log into MyNKU – Biller Direct Tab → Pay Your Bill → Pay Bill Now → Select Payment Method (E-Check) → Enter Payment Information → Review → Confirm

    Detailed instructions for creating and making payments by a new E-Check account are available here.

    Detailed instructions for making payments by an existing E-Check account are available here.

  2. Online – Credit card.

    VISA, MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit cards are accepted.

    There is a 2.5% service fee for all credit card payments.

    Log into MyNKU – Biller Direct Tab → Pay Your Bill → Pay Bill Now → Select Payment Method (Credit Card) → Enter Payment Information → Review → Confirm

    Detailed instructions for making payments by credit cards are available here.

How to sign up to have your refund sent directly to your checking account via Direct Deposit

Log into MyNKU – Click on Biller Direct Tab → Select Manage Bank Accounts → Click Add Account → Enter Bank Account Details → Check Box for Account to Refund → Click Review → Click Confirm

Detailed instructions for setting up direct deposit are available here.

Detailed instructions for deleting bank information is available here.

When is payment due?

Payment is due in full at the beginning of the first session for all courses registered for that semester. If you decide to register for the second or third session later, then tuition payment is due upon registration. There are no payment plans available for accelerated online course sessions.

Can my classes be dropped for nonpayment?

Yes, payment for each session's courses is due by the published due date for the semester. Non-paid courses will be dropped for nonpayment early in the morning of the next business day following the payment due date.

Can I set up a payment plan for my courses?

No, due to the short nature of each session; accelerated online majors do not qualify for a payment plan. Your courses must be paid for in full, per the Academic calendar (typically the first day of classes). If you are registering for later sessions within the semester (after the initial due date of the semester), payment for those courses is due immediately.

What if I am expecting Financial Aid?

It is important that you register for all of your courses for that semester (all sessions) up front to maximize your financial aid award. If your financial aid application process is complete, your financial aid will be posted to your student account statement as 'estimated aid' by the tuition due date. If your financial aid application process is not complete by the tuition due date for the semester, your tuition and fees must be paid in full on the due date. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please note: A refund will be sent for all aid that comes in after the due date.

NOTE: Direct Deposit Refunds for the Fall and Spring Semesters are processed on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday of each week. Direct Deposit Refunds for the Summer Semester are processed on Tuesday and Friday.

All questions concerning financial aid status, verification, options, eligibility or requirements should be directed to Student Financial Assistance at [email protected] or by calling 859-572-5143.

If my courses are dropped for non-payment, can I be reinstated?

There is no reinstatement process for accelerated online majors.

Why do I have a Student Account Services hold?

Financial holds will be placed on accelerated online majors who maintain an outstanding term balance >$100; this hold prevents registration for future sessions. Any balance over $0.00 will prevent you from receiving an official transcript.

Employer Tuition Reimbursement — how does that work?

In order to comply with federal regulations surrounding Truth-in-Lending disclosures, Northern Kentucky University does not have an Employer Reimbursement Plan. If you anticipate receiving tuition reimbursement from your employer, the student will initially be responsible for paying the first semester up front through a variety of options (i.e. out of pocket payment, financial aid, alternative loans, savings, etc.) or any combination of these and other financial resources. Once you’ve completed the first semester you can use the reimbursement that you received from your employer to pay for the next semester, and continue this process for subsequent semesters.

Do I have to give NKU my Social Security Number?

NKU is required by federal tax law to include each student’s federally assigned SSN, ITIN, or ATIN on IRS Form 1098-T that is issued annually to each student.

Failing to provide NKU with your federally assigned number has possible tax consequences for you, and the university.

The federal government has the power to impose penalties against NKU for our submissions of Forms 1098-T without a student's correct SSN, ITIN, or ATIN. If any such penalties do get asserted against NKU, we reserve the right to bill any student for their allocable portion of those penalties, if the student chose not to provide that information upon application to NKU.

How will I receive my Tax Form 1098-T?

Electronically, students may download and print off copies of their 1098-T form online via their myNKU account under the Biller Direct tab. Students who do not wish to receive their 1098-T form electronically may opt out and receive a paper copy by calling Student Account Services at 859-572-5204.

If I received a 1098-T tax form, am I eligible for a tax credit?

Not necessarily. Receipt of a 1098-T does not constitute a statement or guarantee about a student's eligibility to claim a tuition tax credit.

Whom should I contact if I have questions about my Bill?

A variety of charges and credits make up your student statement. Student Account Services compiles multiple sources of information (from NKU departments), such as fees, waivers, approved financial aid and charges generated at the time of registration to create a monthly statement of activity. If you have questions regarding your statement, contact Student Account Services at [email protected] or by calling 859-572-5204.

Please note that Student Account Services makes every effort to answer questions received but may have to refer you to another department to resolve your inquiry.

All questions concerning financial aid status, verification, options, eligibility, or requirements should be directed to Student Financial Assistance at [email protected] or by calling 859-572-5143.

Financial Aid FAQs:

Is financial aid available for students?

Financial aid is available to those who qualify. Students can apply for financial assistance (grants, loans, and/or work-study) by completing the Federal Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at You will want to ensure that you list Northern Kentucky University’s school code (009275).

When is the deadline to apply for financial aid?

The Federal Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) becomes available on October 1st. The last day to submit the FAFSA for an academic year is June 30. However, it is recommended that you complete your FAFSA at least three weeks prior to the start of your enrollment to ensure that your financial aid in place to pay your tuition by the due date. Additionally, we encourage the completion of the application by January 1st to be considered for limited campus-based aid programs.

For how many hours must I be registered?

For most financial aid awards, students must be enrolled at least half-time to receive their funds. For graduate programs, half-time enrollment requires registration for at least 3 credit hours per semester. Half-time enrollment in a undergraduate program requires registration for at least 6 credit hours per semester.

Is your school a "header" or "trailer" school?

Northern Kentucky University is a “trailer” school. This means that the summer term falls at the end of the academic year. Initial financial aid awards are packaged for the standard academic year (fall and spring semesters). Aid for summer semester is typically packaged separately and primarily consists of aid not used during the standard academic year. If you plan to take summer classes, please contact the Office of Student Financial Assistance after you have enrolled in summer classes to request summer financial aid.

Can students who have not been officially admitted into a program receive financial aid?

No, students must be admitted to the university in order to receive financial aid.

Who determines the amount of my loan?

Federal legislation sets the maximum limits on the loan amount students can receive annually. The school determines your actual loan amount(s) based several factors, such as FAFSA dependency status, enrollment period, and class level (freshman, sophomore, graduate, etc.).

How will I be contacted about my student loan?

Once you have accepted a loan and it has been processed, you will be assigned a loan servicer (Note: You will repay your loan to the loan servicer). Your loan servicer will provide regular updates on the status of your loans as well as payment information once you start repayment. You will also receive a notification from the Office of Student Financial Assistance each time the school receives a loan disbursement to your student account.

How do I view my financial aid awards?

You are able to view your financial awards online in your myNKU portal. Once logged into myNKU, select the Financial Aid tab to view your financial aid status and awards.

Why am I not processed for financial aid yet, even though I turned in all of my required documents?

We strive to review each student's financial aid documents as quickly as possible. Once you have submitted your required documents, please allow up to 5-10 business days for review and processing. For the latest updates on your financial aid status, check your Financial Aid tab in your myNKU portal.

How do I apply for financial aid?

To apply for financial aid, you can complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This application is available online at Be sure to list Northern Kentucky University as an institution to receive your application information by using our school code (009275).

When should I apply for financial aid?

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) becomes available annually on October 1 at We suggest that you complete your FAFSA as early as possible to ensure that your aid awards are in place prior to your tuition bill due date.

Once I have filed the FAFSA, how long will it take to determine my eligibility?

Once the FAFSA is submitted, review and processing can take 1-3 weeks. For incoming students, financial aid awarding for an upcoming academic year begins February of each academic year and continues weekly thereafter. Students admitted later in the academic year will be reviewed within 1-2 weeks of submitting all required documentation. Continuing students will receive their financial aid awards starting in May each year.

How much money will I receive once I apply?

Your eligibility for financial aid (grants, student loans, and/or work-study) depends on several factors. These factors can include household income, household size and financial assets. Eligibility will be determined once the Office of Student Financial Assistance receives your FAFSA. Award notifications will be sent to the student via email that informs the student to access their myNKU account to view and accept their awards.

What is a FSA ID and what will I use it for?

Students, parents, and borrowers are required to use an FSA ID, made up of a username and password, to access certain U.S. Department of Education websites (such as and Your FSA ID is used to confirm your identity when accessing your financial aid information and to electronically sign your federal student aid documents.

I have misplaced my FSA ID, how do I apply for a new one?

You can retrieve your FSA ID username and/or password online at For additional information and instructions, visit

What is the difference between Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans?

Subsidized Loans are loans that can be borrowed by undergraduate students with demonstrated financial need, as determined by information from your FAFSA and other financial aid resources. Subsidized Loans do not accrue interest while the student is in school at least half-time or during repayment deferment periods.

Unsubsidized Loans can be borrowed by both undergraduate and graduate students and are not based on financial need. Eligibility is also determined by information from your FAFSA. Interest is assessed on unsubsidized loans while the borrower is in school, repayment deferment, and repayment grace periods. Unlike a subsidized loan, you are responsible for the interest from the time the unsubsidized loan is disbursed until it’s paid in full. You can choose to pay the interest or allow it to accrue (accumulate) and be capitalized (that is, added to the principal amount of your loan). Capitalizing the interest will increase the amount you have to repay. For information on the current loan interest rates, visit

How can I find out information on my previous loans including the name of the lender?

You can view your complete student loan borrowing history online through the National Student Loan Database System at This website will also list the name and contact information for each of your loan servicers.

What if I decide to drop a class or to completely withdraw from my classes?

If a student wishes to drop or withdraw from class they should refer to two policies that explain the consequences of withdrawing. One policy is called Satisfactory Academic Progress policy that explains the students GPA requirement and also the required number of earned hours. The second policy is the Return of Title IV Funds policy that explains what happens to the aid once the student completely withdraws from the university.

Course FAQs:

If students need to complete any general education courses, can they be completed online? If so, how long would it take to finish the general education courses they may need?

All courses can be completed online in 7-week terms.

How are lectures given? Live Chats, office hours, video and/or publisher notes?

Delivery varies by course and instructor, but all lectures will be recorded and available at the student's convenience.

Admissions FAQs:

Do transcripts have to be sent directly from school to school?

For official acceptance, official transcripts are required to be sent from the schools directly to NKU.

How can I check my application status?

The links below can be used to help applicants check on their application status and documents:

Does NKU accept international students?

Overall, NKU does admit international students. However, since this is an online program, students are not eligible for an F1 visa; if they want an F1 visa to stay in the US, they will not be accepted. If they are in their home country, or if they are in the US and do not need an F1 visa, they are eligible to take the program.

What if I have international school experience?

If a student (domestic or international) has any international school experience, they will need to submit their transcripts for evaluation. This will add time to the decision process.

  • Undergraduate transfer students are required to get their overseas transcripts professionally evaluated.
  • Graduate students may be allowed provisional admission for one semester pending professional foreign transcript evaluations; this will be determined on a case-by-case basis.

How much do the general education courses cost?

The cost of a general education course is $452 per credit hour, based on a 3 credit-hour course.

Will I need to set up an advising appointment?

All applicants pursuing an undergraduate degree are required to schedule and complete an advising session.

Do I need to complete an online orientation?

Yes—you will receive instructions for the online orientation in your acceptance letter. Students must complete orientation prior to the first day of class, or a registration hold will be placed for the next term.

What do I do if want to change my start date?

Registration FAQ

How do I register for my class?

For complete steps click here

Program-Specific FAQs:


Is clinical time required?

Yes. Clinical time is assignment/project based, not hour based.

Are preceptors needed for any of the clinical hours?

Preceptors are required for clinical hours.

How much do the general education courses cost?

The cost of a general education course is $452 per credit hour, based on a 3 credit-hour course.

Do I need to complete an online orientation?

Yes—you will receive instructions for the online orientation in your acceptance letter. Students must complete orientation prior to the first day of class, or a registration hold will be placed for the next term.


Process or Program Questions

Does the Psych-Mental Health NP concentration have a pediatric rotation?

Yes. The following are the clinical hour recommendations for the Psych Mental Health NP concentration:

  • 170 hours with clients in a pediatric population (including children, adolescents, and families)
  • 165 hours with adult clients
  • 165 hours with geriatric clients

These are only recommendations of how to disperse your hours, not requirements. However, you are required to complete clinical hours in all areas to meet the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) certification requirements.

At what point in the program does a student start getting clinical sites and preceptors set up (in terms of paperwork, contracts, etc.)?

The earlier the better; students should submit preceptor requests no later than 90 days prior to the start of each clinical rotation to be sure they are approved and avoid any delays.

For MSN Nurse Educator and Nurse Executive Leadership concentrations: What do clinicals entail? What are the course expectations?

Clinicals for the Nurse Educator (NED) concentration include a combination of didactic content and direct care for advanced physical assessments. The didactic portion is set up in a Canvas shell and includes readings, lectures, videos, quizzes, assignments and discussion boards. Clinical hours will be completed individually with a preceptor; examples include wound care specialist; clinic or offices; an acute care unit; nurse midwife; an outpatient center, PACU or surgery center. Students must complete at least 50 hours of clinical.

Clinicals within the NED capstone course include working with an academic or educational preceptor; the preceptor needs to be working as an educator in academia or the workplace. Students complete a project that is about education and teaching. Students must complete approximately 100 to 150 hours.

Clinical hours in the Nurse Executive Leadership concentration entail spending 100 clinical hours with an MSN prepared nursing leader who is in a management role (nurse manager or above).

These hours include but are not limited to shadowing the day-to-day operations in the leader role, attending meetings, or developing a mini-capstone project that will benefit the department/organization for where the student is attending clinical.

Do students have access to a clinical handbook or repository link for program updates and announcements? Where is it located?

A clinical handbook and the MSN program handbook are provided in each MSN specialty Canvas site; program updates and announcements will be communicated by faculty via Canvas site.

Will students have access to a clinical coordinator or a specific point of contact to answer questions regarding clinical and preceptor planning?

A clinical coordinator and MSN concentration coordinator will both be assigned to work with students throughout the program. For questions regarding clinicals, students should reach out to their concentration coordinator directly.

What third-party service will students use to submit background checks and immunization history (required documents)?

PreCheck is the service you should use.

Preceptor Requirement Questions

How many preceptors do students need for the Nurse Practitioner concentrations?

The number of preceptors varies based on clinical rotations. Students must complete 500-600 hours of clinical practice to complete the NP program. These hours may be split among multiple approved preceptors. Specialty settings should be limited to up to 125 hours per specialty rotation. Keeping all of this in mind, students can have anywhere from one to four preceptors throughout the MSN program.

What happens if a student cannot locate a preceptor?

NKU provides support for students who need assistance with locating a preceptor. Though we have resources available to assist students with placement, we highly encourage students to use their professional networks to also assist in preceptor placement, so they can manage their schedule (especially helpful for students who work). If students need assistance with clinical placement, NKU cannot guarantee a clinical placement within their immediate geographic location. Students may be required to commute outside of their local area for clinical placement.

What should a student do if their secured preceptor finds out at the last minute that they can no longer precept?

This depends on how long the clinical clearance process takes at the facility. If the preceptor works at a facility where an affiliation agreement is in place, or the preceptor owns/manages the facility, the clearance process can be completed within a few days. If the preceptor is at a facility where an affiliation agreement is needed, there is no guarantee these negotiations will be finalized prior to the class starting. In this case, the student might be placed at an alternate clinical site in the interim.

What are the experience requirements for preceptors?

Preceptor Qualifications by Concentration:

Concentration Degree / Experience / Qualifications
  • One year of experience
  • Master’s degree or higher
  • Can be an MD, NP or PA, or DO
  • One year of experience
  • Master’s degree or higher
  • Can be an MD, AGACNP, FNP, PA, or DO
  • One year of experience
  • Master’s degree or higher
  • Can be an MD, AGNP, FNP or PA, or DO
  • One year of experience
  • Master’s degree or higher
  • Can be a PMHNP or psychiatrist
  • May also have psychotherapy/counseling experiences with:
    • A psychologist, a Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker (LICSW), or Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor (LPCC) who are providing individual or family therapy services for up to 80 hours over the course of the program
MSN Nurse Educator
  • One year of experience
  • Master’s degree or higher in nursing education
MSN Nurse Executive Leader (NEL)
  • One year of experience
  • Master’s degree or higher
  • Must be working in a leadership role

Can a student’s direct supervisor be their preceptor if it is appropriate for the clinical rotation?

No, students are not permitted to use their direct supervisor as their preceptor. Students are also not permitted to perform clinical rotations during hours they are working as an employee at a facility.

What is the time frame for a preceptor to be approved?

Preceptors must be approved prior to the start of each clinical experience. Preceptor information must be submitted to the university a minimum of 30 days prior to the start of a clinical for approval; it is highly recommended that students submit 90 days prior.

How and when is preceptor information sent to the student?

Students should submit preceptor information via InPlace, the clinical management system. Once the clinical process is complete and the student has been verified as clinically ready, they will receive a notification from InPlace.

Does NKU contract through a third party to assist with preceptors? If not, can the student use a third party to assist with locating preceptors?

NKU does not contract with a third party to assist with locating preceptors or clinical sites. Students are discouraged from using a third party, especially if payment for services is required.

Does the school handle the contract/paperwork between the preceptor and the school?

Students are responsible for ensuring that their preceptor signs the Preceptor Agreement. Students submit this documentation via InPlace, the clinical management system.

If an affiliation agreement is needed, students should provide the university with a point of contact to initiate this process. Affiliation agreement negotiations are between the university and the clinical site. Students are only responsible for ensuring the university has a contact person to start this process.

Does the school or student have to pay for the time with the preceptor?

NKU will provide the preceptor a professional development provision at the conclusion of the clinical experience.

Clinical Requirements Questions

Can students do clinicals at their current place of employment?

Clinical rotations may be completed at the student’s place of employment; however, students must abide by the following rules:

  1. Clinical hours cannot be completed in the student’s direct unit or patient care area
  2. Immediate supervisor cannot be the student’s preceptor
  3. Students cannot perform clinical hours during any time they are being paid as an employee

What are the requirements for a clinical site; are there specific locations that must be used?

The clinical site must be appropriate for the specialty of the program and for the patient population required for each specific course. Contact your concentration coordinator for more details.

Does the university have any hospital affiliation agreements for clinical placement opportunities?

The university does have affiliation agreements for clinical opportunities, but this list is not distributed to students. If a clinical opportunity is available at one of these sites, the university will work with a student to secure placement. All clinical site and preceptor information will be verified as students submit their information for approval.

How are clinical hours tracked?

Hours are tracked via Medatrax, a clinical management system.

Is there a minimum/maximum clinical hour requirement that students must work with a preceptor each week?

Clinical hour requirements vary based on the course. For additional information, see the course syllabus.

What is an appropriate site/location for clinicals? Where can I do clinicals?

Concentration Potential Clinical Sites
  • Primary care facilities (clinics, physician offices)
  • Specialty offices for up to 125 hours (urgent care, cardiology, etc.)
  • Long-term care facilities, hospice settings
  • Acute care hospitals
  • Emergency room and Urgent Care may be used for up to 50% of hours
  • Primary care facilities (clinics, physician office)
  • Long-term care facilities, hospice settings
  • Psych/Mental Health facilities
  • Outpatient clinic and treatment facilities
  • Inpatient hospital
MSN Nurse Educator
  • School of Education (nursing program)
  • Education Department at a healthcare facility
MSN Nurse Executive Leader (NEL)
  • Hospital setting or otherwise approved by the NEL coordinator


How many practicum hours are required for the DNP program?

In order to graduate from the DNP program, students need to complete 1,000 post-baccalaureate practicum hours (that take place as part of an educational program). If you have a Master of Science in Nursing Degree (MSN), any practicum/clinical time completed in an MSN program counts toward the required 1,000 post-baccalaureate practicum hours. The MSN practicum hours must be verifiable and provided to faculty prior to the start of the DNP practicum.

What GPA is used to determine admission into the DNP program?

The graduate GPA is calculated to determine admission into the program.

Am I admissible if I completed an RN to MSN program but was not awarded a bachelor's?

Yes, but students will still need to submit all required documentation to determine if they meet other admission requirements for the program.

If I do not have a statistics credit, is there an option for me to take the course online? If I have taken statistics, is there a course expiration date?

Undergraduate statistics will meet the admission requirement. Students should contact their advisors about course options within NKU.

Request Information
*All fields required.
or call 800-985-7215 800-985-7215
By submitting this form, I am providing my digital signature agreeing that Northern Kentucky University (NKU) may email me or contact me regarding educational services by telephone and/or text message utilizing automated technology or a pre-recorded message at the telephone number(s) provided above. I understand this consent is not a condition to attend NKU or to purchase any other goods or services.