Frequently Asked Questions

NKU offers a variety of easily accessible resources to facilitate your academic journey. Find answers to the most commonly asked questions about our flexible and innovative online programs.

Apply Now


For undergraduate applicants, you can make these updates and more online by visiting Graduate applicants should send an email requesting the updates to [email protected]
For official acceptance, official transcripts are required to be sent from the schools directly to NKU.
The links below can be used to help applicants check on their application status and documents: Undergraduate: Graduate:
Overall, NKU does admit international students. However, since this is an online program, students are not eligible for an F1 visa; if they want an F1 visa to stay in the US, they will not be accepted. If they are in their home country, or if they are in the US and do not need an F1 visa, they are eligible to take the program.
If a student (domestic or international) has any international school experience, they will need to submit their transcripts for evaluation. This will add time to the decision process.
  • Undergraduate transfer students are required to get their overseas transcripts professionally evaluated.
  • Graduate students may be allowed provisional admission for one semester pending professional foreign transcript evaluations; this will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
Credit for prior learning is a broad type of college credit that can be issued to a student. College-level learning acquired through non-college experiences is one such example. Credit for prior learning is not granted for the experiences someone had, but rather the learning that has resulted from those experiences.
A prior learning assessment is the way a student demonstrates their prior learning and how a university evaluates and awards credit. Examples of prior learning assessments include: examinations such as IB, AP, CLEP, DSST; American Council on Education (ACE) approved non-collegiate or military credit; portfolio assessment, industry credentials, and more.
Generally, prior learning credit is awarded for college-level learning outside of the college environment while transfer credit is awarded for college-level learning within the college environment.
Yes. Some examinations such as AP, CLEP, and others charge their own fees to take the exam. NKU may assess fees based on the type of prior learning assessment and based on the amount of credit awarded.
Students must be enrolled at NKU to engage in any prior learning assessments. Once enrolled, students can contact the Adult Learner Programs & Services office at [email protected] or 859-572-5898.
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) becomes available annually on October 1 at We suggest that you complete your FAFSA as early as possible to ensure that your aid awards are in place prior to your tuition bill due date.
Financial aid is available to those who qualify. Students can apply for financial assistance (grants, loans, and/or work-study) by completing the Federal Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at You will want to ensure that you list Northern Kentucky University’s school code (009275).
If a student wishes to drop or withdraw from class they should refer to two policies that explain the consequences of withdrawing. One policy is called Satisfactory Academic Progress policy that explains the students GPA requirement and also the required number of earned hours. The second policy is the Return of Title IV Funds policy that explains what happens to the aid once the student completely withdraws from the university.
You can view your complete student loan borrowing history online through the National Student Loan Database System at This website will also list the name and contact information for each of your loan servicers.
Subsidized Loans are loans that can be borrowed by undergraduate students with demonstrated financial need, as determined by information from your FAFSA and other financial aid resources. Subsidized Loans do not accrue interest while the student is in school at least half-time or during repayment deferment periods. Unsubsidized Loans can be borrowed by both undergraduate and graduate students and are not based on financial need. Eligibility is also determined by information from your FAFSA. Interest is assessed on unsubsidized loans while the borrower is in school, repayment deferment, and repayment grace periods. Unlike a subsidized loan, you are responsible for the interest from the time the unsubsidized loan is disbursed until it’s paid in full. You can choose to pay the interest or allow it to accrue (accumulate) and be capitalized (that is, added to the principal amount of your loan). Capitalizing the interest will increase the amount you have to repay. For information on the current loan interest rates, visit
You can retrieve your FSA ID username and/or password online at For additional information and instructions, visit
Students, parents, and borrowers are required to use an FSA ID, made up of a username and password, to access certain U.S. Department of Education websites (such as and Your FSA ID is used to confirm your identity when accessing your financial aid information and to electronically sign your federal student aid documents.
Your eligibility for financial aid (grants, student loans, and/or work-study) depends on several factors. These factors can include household income, household size and financial assets. Eligibility will be determined once the Office of Student Financial Assistance receives your FAFSA. Award notifications will be sent to the student via email that informs the student to access their myNKU account to view and accept their awards.
Once the FAFSA is submitted, review and processing can take 1-3 weeks. For incoming students, financial aid awarding for an upcoming academic year begins February of each academic year and continues weekly thereafter. Students admitted later in the academic year will be reviewed within 1-2 weeks of submitting all required documentation. Continuing students will receive their financial aid awards starting in May each year.
The Federal Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) becomes available on October 1st. The last day to submit the FAFSA for an academic year is June 30. However, it is recommended that you complete your FAFSA at least three weeks prior to the start of your enrollment to ensure that your financial aid in place to pay your tuition by the due date. Additionally, we encourage the completion of the application by January 1st to be considered for limited campus-based aid programs.
We strive to review each student's financial aid documents as quickly as possible. Once you have submitted your required documents, please allow up to 5-10 business days for review and processing. For the latest updates on your financial aid status, check your Financial Aid tab in your myNKU portal.
You are able to view your financial awards online in your myNKU portal. Once logged into myNKU, select the Financial Aid tab to view your financial aid status and awards.
Once you have accepted a loan and it has been processed, you will be assigned a loan servicer (Note: You will repay your loan to the loan servicer). Your loan servicer will provide regular updates on the status of your loans as well as payment information once you start repayment. You will also receive a notification from the Office of Student Financial Assistance each time the school receives a loan disbursement to your student account.
Federal legislation sets the maximum limits on the loan amount students can receive annually. The school determines your actual loan amount(s) based several factors, such as FAFSA dependency status, enrollment period, and class level (freshman, sophomore, graduate, etc.).
No, students must be admitted to the university in order to receive financial aid.
Northern Kentucky University is a “trailer” school. This means that the summer term falls at the end of the academic year. Initial financial aid awards are packaged for the standard academic year (fall and spring semesters). Aid for summer semester is typically packaged separately and primarily consists of aid not used during the standard academic year. If you plan to take summer classes, please contact the Office of Student Financial Assistance after you have enrolled in summer classes to request summer financial aid.
For most financial aid awards, students must be enrolled at least half-time to receive their funds. For graduate programs, half-time enrollment requires registration for at least 3 credit hours per semester. Half-time enrollment in a undergraduate program requires registration for at least 6 credit hours per semester.
To apply for financial aid, you can complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This application is available online at Be sure to list Northern Kentucky University as an institution to receive your application information by using our school code (009275).
Northern Kentucky University does not send paper statements. Each month a statement of activity is sent to the university assigned email address of all students that have any kind of activity on their student account. However, you can view and/or pay your student account at any time (24/7) online via myNKU > Biller Direct.
  • Online
  • Via US mail
  • In person
Students are strongly encouraged to make electronic payments via Self Service with credit card (2.5% service fee) or electronic check (free). See detailed instructions below. Students who elect to pay in person at the cashier's window (cash or check only) may do so by visiting the Student Account Services Office located on the second floor of the Lucas Administration Building, room 235. Students who elect to mail a personal check or money order may send it to: (Must include Student ID number) Northern Kentucky University
Student Account Services Lucas Administration Center, Room 235 Highland Heights, KY 41099
If you have any questions regarding your student account please contact Student Account Services at 859-572-5204.
Payments can be made online (24 hours a day, 7 days a week) by going to MyNKU and following these instructions:
  1. Online – E-Check payment.There is no additional fee for paying with E-Check. Log into MyNKU – Biller Direct Tab → Pay Your Bill → Pay Bill Now → Select Payment Method (E-Check) → Enter Payment Information → Review → Confirm Detailed instructions for creating and making payments by a new E-Check account are available here. Detailed instructions for making payments by an existing E-Check account are available here.
  2. Online – Credit card.VISA, MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit cards are accepted. There is a 2.5% service fee for all credit card payments. Log into MyNKU – Biller Direct Tab → Pay Your Bill → Pay Bill Now → Select Payment Method (Credit Card) → Enter Payment Information → Review → Confirm Detailed instructions for making payments by credit cards are available here.
Log into MyNKU – Click on Biller Direct Tab → Select Manage Bank Accounts → Click Add Account → Enter Bank Account Details → Check Box for Account to Refund → Click Review → Click Confirm Detailed instructions for setting up direct deposit are available here. Detailed instructions for deleting bank information is available here.
Payment is due in full at the beginning of the first session for all courses registered for that semester. If you decide to register for the second or third session later, then tuition payment is due upon registration. There are no payment plans available for accelerated online course sessions.
Yes, payment for each session's courses is due by the published due date for the semester. Non-paid courses will be dropped for nonpayment early in the morning of the next business day following the payment due date.
No, due to the short nature of each session; accelerated online majors do not qualify for a payment plan. Your courses must be paid for in full, per the Academic calendar (typically the first day of classes). If you are registering for later sessions within the semester (after the initial due date of the semester), payment for those courses is due immediately.
It is important that you register for all of your courses for that semester (all sessions) up front to maximize your financial aid award. If your financial aid application process is complete, your financial aid will be posted to your student account statement as 'estimated aid' by the tuition due date. If your financial aid application process is not complete by the tuition due date for the semester, your tuition and fees must be paid in full on the due date. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please note: A refund will be sent for all aid that comes in after the due date. NOTE: Direct Deposit Refunds for the Fall and Spring Semesters are processed on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday of each week. Direct Deposit Refunds for the Summer Semester are processed on Tuesday and Friday. All questions concerning financial aid status, verification, options, eligibility or requirements should be directed to Student Financial Assistance at [email protected] or by calling 859-572-5143.
There is no reinstatement process for accelerated online majors.
Financial holds will be placed on accelerated online majors who maintain an outstanding term balance >$100; this hold prevents registration for future sessions. Any balance over $0.00 will prevent you from receiving an official transcript.
In order to comply with federal regulations surrounding Truth-in-Lending disclosures, Northern Kentucky University does not have an Employer Reimbursement Plan. If you anticipate receiving tuition reimbursement from your employer, the student will initially be responsible for paying the first semester up front through a variety of options (i.e. out of pocket payment, financial aid, alternative loans, savings, etc.) or any combination of these and other financial resources. Once you’ve completed the first semester you can use the reimbursement that you received from your employer to pay for the next semester, and continue this process for subsequent semesters.
NKU is required by federal tax law to include each student’s federally assigned SSN, ITIN, or ATIN on IRS Form 1098-T that is issued annually to each student. Failing to provide NKU with your federally assigned number has possible tax consequences for you, and the university. The federal government has the power to impose penalties against NKU for our submissions of Forms 1098-T without a student's correct SSN, ITIN, or ATIN. If any such penalties do get asserted against NKU, we reserve the right to bill any student for their allocable portion of those penalties, if the student chose not to provide that information upon application to NKU.
Electronically, students may download and print off copies of their 1098-T form online via their myNKU account under the Biller Direct tab. Students who do not wish to receive their 1098-T form electronically may opt out and receive a paper copy by calling Student Account Services at 859-572-5204.
Not necessarily. Receipt of a 1098-T does not constitute a statement or guarantee about a student's eligibility to claim a tuition tax credit.
A variety of charges and credits make up your student statement. Student Account Services compiles multiple sources of information (from NKU departments), such as fees, waivers, approved financial aid and charges generated at the time of registration to create a monthly statement of activity. If you have questions regarding your statement, contact Student Account Services at [email protected] or by calling 859-572-5204. Please note that Student Account Services makes every effort to answer questions received but may have to refer you to another department to resolve your inquiry. All questions concerning financial aid status, verification, options, eligibility, or requirements should be directed to Student Financial Assistance at [email protected] or by calling 859-572-5143.
Yes. Clinical time is assignment/project based, not hour based.
Preceptors are required for clinical hours.
The cost of a general education course is $461 per credit hour, based on a 3 credit-hour course. Tuition is subject to change.
Yes—you will receive instructions for the online orientation in your acceptance letter. Students must complete orientation prior to the first day of class, or a registration hold will be placed for the next term.
Yes. The following are the clinical hour recommendations for the Psych Mental Health NP concentration:
  • 170 hours with clients in a pediatric population (including children, adolescents, and families)
  • 165 hours with adult clients
  • 165 hours with geriatric clients
These are only recommendations of how to disperse your hours, not requirements. However, you are required to complete clinical hours in all areas to meet the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) certification requirements.
The earlier the better; students should submit preceptor requests no later than 90 days prior to the start of each clinical rotation to be sure they are approved and avoid any delays.
Clinicals for the Nurse Educator (NED) concentration include a combination of didactic content and direct care for advanced physical assessments. The didactic portion is set up in a Canvas shell and includes readings, lectures, videos, quizzes, assignments and discussion boards. Clinical hours will be completed individually with a preceptor; examples include wound care specialist; clinic or offices; an acute care unit; nurse midwife; an outpatient center, PACU or surgery center. Students must complete at least 50 hours of clinical. Clinicals within the NED capstone course include working with an academic or educational preceptor; the preceptor needs to be working as an educator in academia or the workplace. Students complete a project that is about education and teaching. Students must complete approximately 100 to 150 hours. Clinical hours in the Nurse Executive Leadership concentration entail spending 100 clinical hours with an MSN prepared nursing leader who is in a management role (nurse manager or above). These hours include but are not limited to shadowing the day-to-day operations in the leader role, attending meetings, or developing a mini-capstone project that will benefit the department/organization for where the student is attending clinical.
A clinical handbook and the MSN program handbook are provided in each MSN specialty Canvas site; program updates and announcements will be communicated by faculty via Canvas site.
A clinical coordinator and MSN concentration coordinator will both be assigned to work with students throughout the program. For questions regarding clinicals, students should reach out to their concentration coordinator directly.
The number of preceptors varies based on clinical rotations. Students must complete 500-600 hours of clinical practice to complete the NP program. These hours may be split among multiple approved preceptors. Specialty settings should be limited to up to 125 hours per specialty rotation. Keeping all of this in mind, students can have anywhere from one to four preceptors throughout the MSN program.
NKU provides support for students who need assistance with locating a preceptor. Though we have resources available to assist students with placement, we highly encourage students to use their professional networks to also assist in preceptor placement, so they can manage their schedule (especially helpful for students who work). If students need assistance with clinical placement, NKU cannot guarantee a clinical placement within their immediate geographic location. Students may be required to commute outside of their local area for clinical placement.
This depends on how long the clinical clearance process takes at the facility. If the preceptor works at a facility where an affiliation agreement is in place, or the preceptor owns/manages the facility, the clearance process can be completed within a few days. If the preceptor is at a facility where an affiliation agreement is needed, there is no guarantee these negotiations will be finalized prior to the class starting. In this case, the student might be placed at an alternate clinical site in the interim.
Preceptor Qualifications by Concentration: FNP:
  • One year of experience
  • Master's degree or higher
  • Can be an MD, NP or PA, or DO
  • One year of experience
  • Master's degree or higher
  • Can be an MD, AGACNP, FNP, PA, or DO
  • One year of experience
  • Master's degree or higher
  • Can be an MD, AGNP, FNP or PA, or DO
  • One year of experience
  • Master's degree or higher
  • Can be a PMHNP or psychiatrist
  • May also have psychotherapy/counseling experiences with:
    • A psychologist, a Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker (LICSW), or Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor (LPCC) who are providing individual or family therapy services for up to 80 hours over the course of the program
MSN Nurse Educator: 
  • One year of experience
  • Master's degree or higher in nursing education
MSN Nurse Executive Leader (NEL):
  • One year of experience
  • Master's degree or higher
  • Must be working in a leadership role
No, students are not permitted to use their direct supervisor as their preceptor. Students are also not permitted to perform clinical rotations during hours they are working as an employee at a facility.
Preceptors must be approved prior to the start of each clinical experience. Preceptor information must be submitted to the university a minimum of 30 days prior to the start of a clinical for approval; it is highly recommended that students submit 90 days prior.
Students should submit preceptor information via InPlace, the clinical management system. Once the clinical process is complete and the student has been verified as clinically ready, they will receive a notification from InPlace.
NKU does not contract with a third party to assist with locating preceptors or clinical sites. Students are discouraged from using a third party, especially if payment for services is required.
Students are responsible for ensuring that their preceptor signs the Preceptor Agreement. Students submit this documentation via InPlace, the clinical management system. If an affiliation agreement is needed, students should provide the university with a point of contact to initiate this process. Affiliation agreement negotiations are between the university and the clinical site. Students are only responsible for ensuring the university has a contact person to start this process.
NKU will provide the preceptor a professional development provision at the conclusion of the clinical experience.
Clinical rotations may be completed at the student’s place of employment; however, students must abide by the following rules:
  1. Clinical hours cannot be completed in the student’s direct unit or patient care area
  2. Immediate supervisor cannot be the student’s preceptor
  3. Students cannot perform clinical hours during any time they are being paid as an employee
The clinical site must be appropriate for the specialty of the program and for the patient population required for each specific course. Contact your concentration coordinator for more details.
The university does have affiliation agreements for clinical opportunities, but this list is not distributed to students. If a clinical opportunity is available at one of these sites, the university will work with a student to secure placement. All clinical site and preceptor information will be verified as students submit their information for approval.
Hours are tracked via Medatrax, a clinical management system.
Clinical hour requirements vary based on the course. For additional information, see the course syllabus.
  • Primary care facilities (clinics, physician offices)
  • Specialty offices for up to 125 hours (urgent care, cardiology, etc.)
  • Long-term care facilities, hospice settings
  • Acute care hospitals
  • Emergency room and Urgent Care may be used for up to 50% of hours
  • Primary care facilities (clinics, physician office)
  • Long-term care facilities, hospice settings
  • Psych/Mental Health facilities
  • Outpatient clinic and treatment facilities
  • Inpatient hospital
MSN Nurse Educator:
  • School of Education (nursing program)
  • Education Department at a healthcare facility
MSN Nurse Executive Leader (NEL):
  • Hospital setting or otherwise approved by the NEL coordinator
In order to graduate from the DNP program, students need to complete 1,000 post-baccalaureate practicum hours (that take place as part of an educational program). If you have a Master of Science in Nursing Degree (MSN), any practicum/clinical time completed in an MSN program counts toward the required 1,000 post-baccalaureate practicum hours. The MSN practicum hours must be verifiable and provided to faculty prior to the start of the DNP practicum.
The graduate GPA is calculated to determine admission into the program.
Yes, but students will still need to submit all required documentation to determine if they meet other admission requirements for the program.
Undergraduate statistics will meet the admission requirement. Students should contact their advisors about course options within NKU.

Request Information

Submit this form, and an Enrollment Specialist will contact you to answer your questions.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Or call 800-985-7215

Ready to Begin?

Start your application today!
Or call 800-985-7215 800-985-7215
for help with any questions you may have.